CONNECTED ARTICLES

Reuters: Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona

Reuters: Spanish police shoot five suspects dead after driver kills 13 in Barcelona

18 August 2017 | 12:31 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. Spain launched a sweeping anti-terrorism operation on Friday, shooting dead five would-be attackers after a suspected Islamist militant drove a van into crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people and wounding scores, Reuters reported.
Islamic State said the perpetrators had been responding to its call for action by carrying out Thursday's rampage along Barcelona's most famous avenue, which was thronged with holiday-makers enjoying an afternoon stroll at the peak of the tourist season.
Bodies, many motionless, were left strewn across the avenue and authorities said the toll of dead, which included several children, could rise, with more than 100 injured.
Hours later in the early hours of Friday, as security forces hunted for the van's driver, police said they killed five attackers in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona, to thwart a separate attack using explosive belts.
Details of the Cambrils incident, which police linked to the Barcelona attack, were still sketchy.
But police said six civilians and a police officer were injured when the attackers ran them over in a car, before police shot them dead and carried out controlled explosions.
Authorities later said the explosive belts were fake.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

The Guardian: Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

The Guardian: Barcelona victims: citizens from at least 24 countries among dead and injured

18 August 2017 | 10:38 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. Citizens from at least two dozen countries have been injured or killed in the van attack in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona and the coastal town of Cambrils, according to Catalan authorities, The Guardian reported.
By Friday morning the death toll stood at 13 bystanders killed and more than 100 injured.
So far, the youngest victim of the attacks is thought to be a three-year-old girl, Spanish media reported. She died shortly after she was taken to hospital. A six-year-old girl of unknown nationality has also been taken to hospital with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall d’Hebron university hospital told the New York Times.
So far, the British foreign office has received no confirmed reports of British citizens injured or killed, but Chris Pawley – 30, a survivor of the Manchester bombing – was visiting Spain with his partner and was in the area when the attack occurred.
He told the Manchester Evening News he couldn’t believe he had been caught up in a second terrorism incident in fewer than six months. He had just left the Ariana Grande in May when the bomb detonated.
Pawley said of Thursday’s attack: “There was police everywhere and ambulances, the shops started putting the shutters down.”
“We have just come back to the hotel, as we were caught up in the arena attack – can’t believe it.”
France has confirmed that there are 26 of its citizens injured with 11 in a serious condition. The Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia, quoting police, said three Germans were also among the fatalities.
Belgium’s foreign affairs minister, Didier Reynders, confirmed on Twitter that one of its citizens was killed in the attack, and also said the Belgian embassy was in touch with hospitals in the area regarding other possible victims.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

VOA: US Officials Condemn Barcelona Van Attack, Offer Assistance to Spain

VOA: US Officials Condemn Barcelona Van Attack, Offer Assistance to Spain

18 August 2017 | 09:24 | FOCUS News Agency
Washington. The United States has condemned what it calls a "terror attack" in Barcelona Thursday and is offering assistance to Spain, Voice of America reported.
At least 13 people have died and about 100 others were left injured after a van ploughed into pedestrians in Barcelona's popular Las Ramblas area. Two people have been arrested in the case but the driver has fled. Terrorist group Islamic State has claimed the attack was performed by one of its "soldiers", without offering any proof. VOA's Zlatica Hoke reports.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

The Daily Prague Monitor: Czech PM, other politicians condemn Barcelona attack

The Daily Prague Monitor: Czech PM, other politicians condemn Barcelona attack

18 August 2017 | 08:52 | FOCUS News Agency
Prague. Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka has said on Twitter that the van plowing into a crowd in Barcelona yesterday was another "outrageous terrorist attack on innocent people", The Daily Prague MonitorM writes.
Thirteen people died and some 80 were wounded in the attack, for which Islamic State has claimed responsibility.
Apart from Sobotka, the attack has been condemned by other Czech politicians.
"I feel compassion for the victims' families and I wish a quick recovery to the wounded," Sobotka (Social Democrats, CSSD) tweeted.
Similarly, Chamber of Deputies chairman Jan Hamacek (CSSD) wrote on Twitter that he condemns the "outrageous and cowardly terrorist attack in Barcelona."
"Unfortunately, no security measures are 100-percent reliable, but it is good that we continue reinforcing them," Hamacek wrote.
"We must switch from words to deeds and stop the repugnant terrorism," Czech Regional Development Minister Karla Slechtova (for ANO) said in reaction to the Barcelona attack, but did not elaborate.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

AFP : Driver in Barcelona van attack still on the run

AFP : Driver in Barcelona van attack still on the run

18 August 2017 | 00:40 | FOCUS News Agency
Barcelona. The driver of a van that mowed into a packed street in Barcelona, killing at least 13 people, is still on the run, Spanish police said Thursday, cited by AFP.
Josep Lluis Trapero of the regional police of Catalonia, where the popular seaside city is located, told reporters that two other people suspected of being involved in Thursday's terror attack had been arrested -- a Spaniard and a Moroccan.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

 AFP : IS claims its 'soldiers' carried out Barcelona attack

AFP : IS claims its 'soldiers' carried out Barcelona attack

17 August 2017 | 22:48 | FOCUS News Agency
Beirut. "Soldiers" of the Islamic State group carried out a deadly van attack in Barcelona on Thursday, the jihadist organisation's propaganda outlet Amaq said, according to a US monitor, cited by AFP.
"The executors of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State," the Amaq outlet said, quoted by SITE Intelligence Group.
Open in new tab
прочети затвори

PICTURE OF THE DAY

VIDEO OF THE DAY
Home | Services | Archive | Partners | Banners | Radio Adds | About Us | Disclaimer | Contacts |
© 2017 FOCUS Information Agency The content published by Focus Information Agency and the technologies, used on its website, are protected by the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Act. All the text, audio and video materials, photos, and graphics, published in the database, are property of Focus Information Agency, unless otherwise provided. The USERS and SUBSCRIBERS are under the obligation to use the materials from the database according to Focus Information Agency’s General Terms and Conditions as well as the applicable law of the Republic of Bulgaria.